Monday, April 14, 2008

Lucky 20

Is there something magical about 20 miles, or have I just been lucky up until now? This past Saturday's run went really well, but I can't say my confidence was 100% leading up to that day.

The previous week's 18 went much better than I expected, but it took a lot out of me. I felt pretty wiped out and sore afterwards. I did an easy 3 miles on Tuesday, and then we met in Norwood last Wednesday for 8.5 miles. We had a simple out and back route going down Madison to Walnut Hills. I was tired starting out, and the weather was warmer than it has been all year. I just didn't have much energy to put towards the run. Thankfully, Lindsay was there, and she wasn't feeling 100%, either. We turned around early and made it 7 instead of 8.5. I guess we wimped out, but I just wasn't feeling it, and I didn't feel like pushing myself only days before our longest training run.

I took Thursday and Friday off to recover. Since coming back from my trip, I have had nagging pain in my quads that just wouldn't go away. I decided to rest and hope that it would be enough time to let those muscles recover. I had a carb filled pasta dinner on Friday night and prayed that Saturday would go well. Weather was great for running - about 40 degrees. That's exactly how I like it, cool. Actually, it was almost a little too cold with a cold wind that didn't seem to let up. We started out in



Newport

The group met up at the Levee. Lindsay and Holly were both there, and we decided that our strategy would be to go out slow and be conservative. We set out through Kentucky following most of the Pig route and settled into a nice relaxing pace with a small group of people as everyone spread out.



Linn & 8th Street

First water stop. I thought it was a little early to be eating a Gu, so I just sipped on my diluted Endurance Formula Gatorade (can't drink that stuff straight up) and took in the lovely scenery of the west end. I also figured out where Emily and I took a wrong turn last week. We continued through downtown and then into



Eden Park

The hills that killed me during the 18 miler seemed so much easier. I was glad that I had paced myself well and made a note to remember this feeling during the marathon. If I pace myself, hopefully I will be feeling just as good as I was on Saturday. We chugged on up the hill to the second water stop at the Eden Park overlook. I enjoyed the view of the city and ate my first Gu. By this point, Lindsay was having a hard time keeping up with Holly and I. She told us to go on ahead because she wasn't feeling great. I felt bad, but we headed out with the ten minute mile group, led by one of the coaches, Brian.



Madison

I was really excited to have made it up all the major hills, especially since I was feeling really great. Runner's high in full effect. I had to keep reminding myself that I still had about 11 miles to go and that I needed to pace. Despite those reminders, I broke away from the 10 minute group and ran out ahead. I was feeling awesome as we passed the Running Spot. We turned down Erie and continued on. All the while, Coach Brian was filling us in on the Pig course. He's somewhat of an expert and was letting us know exactly what part of the course we were on, and what it would be like on race day. I ran along, content to listen and look around.



Paxton/Wasson/Marburg

At this point, I pushed further ahead of the 10 minute group. I was alone for most of this part of the run, and just let my mind wander. I ran past Coach Cathy, who was one of my mentors when I first started running. She is one of the few people who can talk non-stop while running. Her hilarious stories motivated me through many miles. At the corner of Marburg and Erie was another water stop where we fueled up again.



Delta

We headed up Erie and Coach Brian let us know that this part of our run was not part of the Pig course, which we were glad to hear, since it is enough of a hill just to be annoying. Once we hit the top, it was down, down, down Delta. I was kind of concerned about my quads bothering me again, but I kept the pace slower and I was still feeling good.



Eastern

The last few miles of the Pig. There isn't much to look at, but Brian kept it interesting with race day psychology and tips. There is a church on Eastern (I think it is St. Rose) and from that point you only have 5k to the finish. "It's all mental from this point on." I was contemplating how some people have the energy to talk almost non-stop during along run. We had another water stop, and then Holly and I continued ahead of that group again. I started to feel the pain during the last few miles on Eastern, and there is a stupid little hill that comes out of nowhere! I will be remembering that hill during the other parts of the race when I am tempted to go too fast.



Downtown

This was the last little loop that we had to add on to make it 20 miles (actually 20.5.) The wind was blowing so hard, I could hardly believe it. We were running against the wind and at times it was gusting so much that I felt like my legs were going to blow out from under me. I was wearing cut away shorts and I feel sorry for whoever was behind me and may have permanent eye damage after seeing half of my butt cheek. By that point, though, I was too tired to care.



One last bridge and we made it! I didn't walk at all and I was really happy with the run. My legs were definitely tired and sore, but I feel like I know now how to pace myself and make sure I have enough energy left to finish strong. My left knee has been bothering me a little since then, so I have been icing religiously and skipped running today for the elliptical machine. I don't want to injure myself now when we are only 3 weeks out!



I'll leave you with another picture from our trip to Argentina. I'm still recovering psychologically, but I feel much better. Here is a pic of my in-laws. (I know you can see the crazy.) Check out my mother in-law's hair. Don't worry, they don't speak English.









3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurrah! Congrats on your 20 (.5)! Hope I can keep up with you on marathon day!

Judi said...

Nice job on your 20. See ya Monday. How far are we going and where should we meet?

Anonymous said...

Leo is related to David Schwimmer?? Wow, thats awesome.